- Testing machine for uniaxial compression tests and tensile strength tests: Young’s modulus, Poisson’s ratio, uniaxial compressive strength, tensile strength
- Triaxial shear test: cohesion and friction angle
- Ultrasonic measuring device (P- and S-waves): dynamic Young’s modulus, dynamic Poisson’s ratio
- Point load test: point load index
- Schmidt hammer (N- and L-type): rebound value
- Direct shear test: cohesion, friction coefficient, shear strength
Ultrasonic measurement technology
The ultrasonic measurement technique is used in our rock mechanics laboratory in particular to non-destructively determine the elastic properties (Edyn, νdyn) of rocks. The transmission measurement is mainly used for this purpose. The test specimen is sonicated and the longitudinal wave velocity, the homogeneity, the damping behaviour and the acoustic transmission behaviour are determined. In addition, the transverse wave velocities are determined with specially designed samples. The dynamic elastic properties of the sampled materials can then be determined via the measured quantities vp and vs as well as the density.
The UKS-D ultrasonic measuring system from Geotron is used. The device can be used both in the field and for drill cores.
- Material testing of rock samples (elastic properties, cracks, weathering depth, etc.)
- Determination of geomechanical parameters for implementation in finite element models
- Sieve analysis and Hydrometer: grain size analysis
- Proctor compaction test: Proctor density
- Analysis for determination of water absorption capacity, water and lime content, organic content as well as flow, roll-out and shrinkage limits
- Field vane test